Wednesday, October 3, 2012

ISWG: Quantity Versus Quality



I'd hate to complain that I don't have enough time to write, as I am well aware that a true writer makes time to write, and that I try to do. However, I often find myself disappointed at the word count I crank out in a week: quite low, usually less than 1000 words a week, when ideally I would like to get at least 1000 each day.
I'm disappointed, that is, until I actually read the words; then I'm not quite as disappointed anymore. Those measly 1000 words are pretty good words, if I do say so myself. I think this is because when I am not engaged in the physical act of writing, I spend most of my time--practically constantly--pondering the ins and outs of the story; I write the whole story in my head before I put the words onto the paper, so even though it takes a long, long time, it's essentially complete and as I pictured the story when I finally get down to writing it.

I'm a slow and steady type of writer. I wish I could amp up the quantity I write, but then again, is it so bad to take ten years to write one little novel if it turns out fantastically? I do believe in quality over quantity, but should there be a happy medium?
Peace, Aimee

9 comments:

  1. You and I have a similar approach to writing - not just with struggling to find time, but thinking the entire story through in advance. I find that I spend a lot more time considering the story world and the options for each character and scene rather than writing them. 1,000 words a week sounds familiar, too. But the number doesn't matter as long as you're happy with what you've written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow and steady wins the race, right? And quality is better than speed, anyway. Maybe setting a goal 300 words per day, then amp it up to 350, and slowly wing your way up to the speed you want.
    The point is to keep writing, and never quit. That's what everyone has been telling me today, so I'll pass on the encouragement and smiles:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ink in the Book... :D I was going to say that! Just keep at it...and tuck all your writing away! I tend to scribble words all over...lol

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they are quality, then that is more important than cranking out a lot of junk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe that "real" writers make time to write hooey. Life happens, and, when you have other things that have to happen, you have other things that have to happen. 1000 words a week isn't terrible. My goal per week is only 2000, and I don't always make that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1,000 words a day is very good, esp. if the quality
    is pleasing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too, I write the entire thing in my head before I'm able to write the thing down. I'm a slow writer too so it takes me FOREVER, I mean FOREVER because I keep on getting distracted by this awesome writing community online.

    I agree that writing should be a happy medium, not a disappointing medium. You gotta make it fun in order to have fun!

    Great post! :)

    Nice to meet you! *shake hands*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me three! I also write the whole thing in my head! That's cool to find that others do that. :) I think much of my writing time, I'm not actually writing, I'm composing in my mind.

    I think so many people view writing as something to force for word count, but I think that giving your mind time to work with something makes the writing so much more powerful and deep. So, if I get a vote, it's for quality. :)

    ReplyDelete