IWSG: Finding the Words



I am currently reading Rollo May's book The Courage to Create, and in chapter two, "The Nature of Creativity," he discusses a case study of a person with a similar problem to mine. A writer suddenly developed a fantastic idea for a novel, outlined it, and got everything prepared for writing; essentially, he had the whole idea mapped out in his head. However, once he was finished mapping it out, he was suddenly sick of the idea and moved on to something else, never writing an actual novel. This is practically identical to my situation. However, May, as a psychologist, suggested that his problem was due to him seeking approval from his parents, achieving this (self-affirmed) approval in the having of the idea rather than the actual writing. Who knows what my problem is, but no matter, it is still frustrating and annoying.

My goal to finish the first draft of my manuscript by the end of this year still holds firm, and I am not planning on budging. I'm just going to have to power through. First drafts, though I hate knowing this, are always awful, and that's something I'm trying to accept about my own writing. My trouble is that I want it to be perfect on the first draft; if I can't find the perfect words, then no words get written. In order to actually finish a draft, I must write, no matter how bad it sounds; I'm going to have to edit later anyway. Will I ever learn?

I can't simply sit and wait for the words to come to me; I have to actively seek them out.

Peace, Aimee

5 comments:

  1. I get excited over new thoughts and inspiring ideas, too! Sometimes I have to really work at getting the ideas into the story. Such is the life of a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first draft is always the most difficult for me. If I can just get through it, I'll be all right. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps writing a few scenes first (maybe even out of order, just as they come to you) instead of mapping it out would help - perhaps you're using up all the fizz before you get to the fun part of writing. (I never plan, BTW, I have a feeling the same thing would happen to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to find a way that will work out for you. As Annalisa says, outlining is not for everyone, we all have different way to make our minds start working and if writing that first draft will be a struggle, then it won't get written. Now, to be a perfectionist will make it hard for you, no matter what. I'd advise you not to go back too much. If you write a page, don't go back and try to make it perfect the next day, keep on writing avoiding to read back what you already have until the time comes for some editing.

    Hope you find you way. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! Maybe actually writing the scenes will help you recover your enthusiasm for the story. Hope you'll let us know how it works out...

    ReplyDelete