K-Pax

I honestly think this (besides its sequel K-Pax II) is the only book I’ve read that starts with the letter K. But it’s a good one, anyway.

Author Gene Brewer tells the story of a man who arrives at a psychiatric hospital claiming to be called Prot and coming from the planet K-Pax. Told through his meetings with the psychiatrist and enduring hypnosis, K-Pax is not only a story of questioning the line between fantasy and reality, but it also questions many aspects of our culture, such as family dynamics and government.

There are hilarious bits and there are terribly sad bits, and the deeper message of the story is not one you would expect from this genre of book. I would highly recommend this novel to people interested in psychology, sociology, astronomy, and even anarchy. It’s a very enjoyable read.

Peace, Aimee

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of this book. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that books starting with K are in short supply. I went to my list of books finished (since I started keeping track in August 2008) and of the 251 books only one starts with a K, a memoir by Michael Levy of his time in the Peace Corps "Kosher Chinese: Living, Teaching, and Eating with China's Other Billion". K-Pax sounds like a good book for my book club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete