Friday, April 6, 2012

For Whom the Bell Tolls

"No man is an island entire of himself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." -John Donne

Based on Ernest Hemingway's experiences during the Spanish Civil War, For Whom the Bell Tolls tells the story of American soldier Robert Jordan, whose love for a Spanish girl clashes with his sense of duty to fight for his country.

I didn't much like any of Hemingway's other works, but I do like this one very much. It describes the brutality of war and the human capacity for love.

Peace, Aimee

6 comments:

  1. This is the one major Hemingway I haven't read. Which of his other ones didn't you like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like The Old Man in the Sea much, or some of his short stories. For Whom the Bell Tolls is very good. I plan to read his other novels eventually.

      Delete
    2. The Sun Also Rises is really good. A Moveable Feast is also enjoyable, though not a novel.

      Delete
  2. This makes me want to reread it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess I might have to read it, because I have not liked anything I have read by him, which is sad!

    Kelly Stilwell
    www.kellystilwell.com

    ReplyDelete