Earnest, The Importance of Being

Is this cheating? Well anyway, I couldn’t think of a book I’d read that starts with the letter E.

Perhaps the most famous play of Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest is a hilarious satire of Victorian society and the triviality of social status. In the play, a man named Jack lives a double life, claiming to have a scandalous brother named Ernest. When his ward becomes engaged to his friend Algernon, his double life is exposed to the woman he loves, who will only marry a man named Ernest. The dialogue of this play is genius. I’d say it is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Peace, Aimee

6 comments:

  1. Aimee I LOVE the Importance of Being Ernest. I had to read it for a class a few years ago (I'd never read it before) and to my surprise I loved it and thought it was really funny! I love the segments you are doing for A-Z. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the movie which was very good. The book is still on my To Read Very Soon list. :)
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites. You can't help but laugh. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, I watched the movie not too long ago and once I got used to the British accent, I finally figured out what was happening. Ha. thanks for the reminder. Ruby

    ReplyDelete