Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chu Ju's House

This young adult novel by Gloria Whelan documents the travels of a fourteen-year-old Chinese girl who runs away from home to protect her unborn sister from the one-child-only law. She lies to cover up her past, living with a family on a fishing boat, an orphanage for rejected girls, and with an old woman on a farm whose son has grown up and moved to the city.

A story about bravery, sacrifice, and love, but also a coming-of-age story, Chu Ju’s House is my favorite young adult novel. I adored it when I was a kid and read it many times. Recommended for young teen girls, especially those with sisters.

Peace, Aimee

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book, I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a very interesting book. I'm adding it to my reading list and I'm definitely telling my sister about it too!

    Just A Nice Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should link these books too.

    Visiting from A to Z.
    prose-spective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds good, I must get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post! will look for this book.

    found you on the a to z, and I am looking forward to more of your lovely writing! I am following now.

    feel free to take a peek at my travel theme blog if you have time:

    http://wordcut.blogspot.com

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post for C cool
    do check my D at GAC a-z

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fantastic. Thanks, Aimee!

    ReplyDelete