Writing About Reading About Writing About Reading

And you get to read about it!

Here is the first paragraph of my Introduction to Literature textbook:

“Many people read literature for pleasure. Many others read literary works mainly to satisfy academic requirements. Duty and pleasure, however, are not mutually exclusive. And so, even though you may be reading the literature in this book to fulfill course assignments, you may find yourself enjoying at least some of the work you read here. One of the purposes of this chapter is to introduce you to some of the pleasures literature offers.”

Oh the irony.

They might as well just say 'This book is going to suck all the fun out of literature. You may never read a book again.'

The best part about reading this textbook, though, is that while I am reading about what is fun about reading, I am having fun making fun of it.

:)

Peace, Aimee

DiYanni, Robert. Literature: Approaches to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama. 2nd ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2008.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes humor is the only way to make it through the drudgery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best with the course, your sarcasm made me smile so keep up the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Literature can be fun. It's not my first choice, or even my second choice, but I have found several literary books that I enjoy! For the most part, though, I'd rather read genre and pulp :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved my English literature classes. Maybe you shouldn't have read that introduction and instead, just innocently plunged ahead with no idea what was coming. Life is sometimes better that way, right? What is the old saying..."Ignorance is bliss".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post! Love visiting your blog!

    Lola x
    http://lola-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar experience when I saw all the brilliant reproductions of Italio-Byzantine and Italian Renaissance art in my textbook, and then the dry as hell text that went with it.

    Yay, school. I think I'll try having fun making fun of it. Otherwise I may just defenestrate myself. It's a one story building. Nothing much will come of it.

    Also, I've chosen your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award. Here it is if you want it :)

    http://samdelapena.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/its-saturda-all-up-in-here-people/

    ReplyDelete