First Campaigner Challenge

It's time for the first Campaigner Challenge of the Third Writers' Platform-Building Campaign! Here is a description of the challenge...

Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “The door swung open” These four words will be included in the word count.

If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), use the same beginning words and end with the words: "the door swung shut." (also included in the word count)

For those who want an even greater challenge, make your story 200 words EXACTLY!


And here is a link to the challenge page...

I managed to get my story to exactly 200 words! Here it is. I hope you like it!

Peace, Aimee



The door swung open.
“Get up.”
My weak legs wouldn’t let me.
“Get up,” he repeated.
“I can’t.” The sound came out a raspy squeak.
He gripped my arm with his huge hand and yanked me to my feet. A yelp of pain escaped my cracked lips. The cement was like spikes on my blistering soles.
He didn’t say another word, but I didn’t care where he took me. Nowhere could be worse than here.
Down the hallway he dragged me, passing dozens of doors identical to the one I had been staring at for months. At the end was another door, which he ripped open, revealing the sizzling heat and the blaring sun.
He shoved me out. I stumbled and fell, scorching my naked body in the desert sand.
“Go,” he said. “We don’t need you anymore.”
It took all my strength to roll onto my back and look up at the man who had been torturing me for all those weeks. And the others too.
“That’s all?” I managed to say.
He stared at me like I was an animal, looking into me with those dark eyes, and I looked back into the oblivion.
The door swung shut.

18 comments:

  1. Gee willy willipers! I love this and I could feel it. You've captured a situation not unlike one I was reading in 'A Coffee Shop in Afghanistan' last night. Great entry! D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way creepy! So they torture her only to release her into the desert? Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this one! I love having more questions than answers. I want to know the backstory to this one, now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was wonderful as a catch. Wish there was more. Jen is right, certainly more questions than answers which is perfect for a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, wish I could read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm glad you like it!

    Even better than the reader having more questions than answers is the writer not knowing the ansers either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures in my head as I read this entry. Nice language used within - at least to my tastes! :) ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really intriguing. I want to know more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! you certainly left me with a lot of questions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, you sparked my imagination with this one. Was she a girl held captive? Maybe he was a prisoner of war kept for questioning? Great dialogue and description.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The characters snagged me immediately! And the scary/creepy aspect of the story is very palpable too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I'm wondering where the heck this protagonist is off to in the middle of the desert? Great sense of mystery and great sinister undertones!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! How could they do such a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very intriguing read with lots of scope to be developed into a longer story. Just how is she going to survive alone in the middle of the desert? Thought the description was very effective too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow good stuff...I felt the heat!

    http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

    ReplyDelete