Monday, July 18, 2011

Here Lies My Childhood, A Free Era

Last Thursday/Friday at midnight, I went to the premier of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2.

Duh.

For me, it was a strange experience. I started reading the books when I was about five years old. I was never an obsessed fan. You've seen those people. They get intense. I only read each book once, and I some of the movies I waited to see until they came out on DVD. I was two years under eleven when the first movie came out, but I am two years over seventeen now that the last movie has come out. Watching it, I felt as though my childhood officially came to close.

The end of the Harry Potter phenomenon marked the end of an era. In the past fourteen years, since the first book was published, children everywhere have held that one secret desire to be chosen, to be special, like Harry and the other wizards and witches of that magical world. On their eleventh birthdays, they crossed their fingers, wishing for their letter. They didn't receive it, but still, the battle between good and evil roared on. In 2001, the same year the first movie was released, the 9/11 attacks and the resulting war sparked the desire for peace in their minds, like Harry's struggle against Voldemort's violence. As they went through school, perhaps they were picked on, like Malfoy torturing Harry at Hogwarts. Their teachers and parents wanted to help them, but deep in their minds, their caregivers were afraid that the world outside would never be the perfect world for the children. As friends became sidekicks, pets became ever-listening muses, and adults became wise rule-enforcers who were either for the kids or against them, the children of the Harry Potter era lived life as though Voldemort could end them at any moment and only the magical gift of love could stop that evil in its tracks.

I don't want to give any spoilers for those of you who have not read the books yet, but I will say this. As I watched the film, the theme of the series was pouring through me. But I had that nagging feeling of deja vu, as if I'd known the truth about this battle between good and evil all along: good always overcomes evil, as long as you have faith that it can.

I had a loose idea of reading the entire series again, back to back to back, but I have officially decided not to do so, leaving that part of my life where it belongs.

Peace, Aimee

1 comment: