Friday, July 8, 2011

The Beginning Contest!

A while back, I hosted the Character Contest, which was not very successful... Since I am not doing a contest in September like I was planning to (because I'm doing the Peace Blogfest instead!) I am going to do another contest now!

Last time, I gave you two characters to write 1000 words or less about. This time, I am going to give you the first paragraph of a story, and you get to finish it!

I got this idea from the book If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino (which I talked about the other day), in which the author decides to copy down the first paragraph of Crime and Punishment to see if he can reach into the same void that Dostoyevsky did in writing the book, but Calvino is unable to write anything but what Dostoyevsky had already written. I will be making up the first paragraph of the story, though, so we won't have that problem. :)

You can write anything: a short story, flash fiction, a poem... as long as it is 1000 words or less. That seems like a lot, I know, and maybe that intimidated people last time, but remember, you do not have to write 1000 words. It can be as little as 100 if you want!

Since this contest involves writing, a picture can't be worth 1000 words like it was last time (though no one submitted pictures they drew anyway), but in a future contest (eventually) I would love to see drawings as well as writing. Just not this one...

The contest begins today and ends Friday 22 July 2011. I will post the winner(s)'s submission on Monday 25 July 2011, and I will post my own piece on Wednesday 27 July 2011.

Email me your submission at cheesepuff5292@yahoo.com. One submission per person...

The winner gets a 1000 word critique from me (it can be from your novel or anything else you choose). Plus the winning submission is posted on my blog, so make sure to include a link to your blog along with your submission so I can link to you if you win! Last time, I offered critiques for each submission, but I don't think I'm going to do that this time, sorry...

Ok! This is the first paragraph (or stanza if it's a poem):

Harry had nothing better to do than to sit and watch television. His wife had left him three months ago, and she took with her their sixteen year old son and twelve year old daughter. Harry hadn't published anything in the past two years and his royalty checks would soon be coming to an end. And last but certainly not least, he was beginning to think that he was losing his mind.

There you go! I hope you have fun with this! Good luck, and I can't wait to read the submissions!

Peace, Aimee

5 comments:

  1. Just a quick question -- Is it 1,000 words with or without the prompt paragraph?

    CV

    ReplyDelete
  2. CV - It doesn't matter much to me, actually. I'm cool with reading something that's 1100 words long, just not too much longer than that. It's not like I'm going to disqualify people. ;)

    Thanks, Cold as Heaven. I hope you can find time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah! A challenge! I'll be working on this.

    ReplyDelete