Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Music To My Ears

I am lucky to have a father who instilled in me as a child a deep appreciation of the arts. My dad is the reason why I am a writer and a musician. I swear that every single day of my life, my dad has been reading a new book and suggesting some to me, and there has been music playing in my house 24/7.

In this blog I talk a lot about writing, but I would like to today discuss something that is almost if not as important to me. Music. Instead of going on a big long rant, which I am bound to do, I would like to share with you the five most underrated bands in my opinion. Maybe, hopefully, you've heard of them, and if not, then you're welcome!

By the way, there is no way that YouTube does this music justice.

Flim and the BBs
A jazz band from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, these guys know just how to get your attention. Genius use of crescendo and staccato if I’ve ever heard it. And then they give you just enough of each verse and each instrument to leave you satisfied yet begging for more. I really don’t know how else to describe it. Just listen. If you have good speakers, turn it up loud and close your eyes. Seriously good stuff.


The Doors
Who cares about all that heroin he did and all the times he was arrested. Jim Morrison’s voice is like a silky sound wave ribbon of sex flowing through your ears. He was a genius poet. And the band was awesome too.


Stevie Ray Vaughan
He was just as good as Hendrix. Guitar God.


Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Ever heard a jazz band with a banjo, steel drums, and a drum guitar? Well now you have.


Ludo
Here's a new one for you. Ludo is a rock band signed just in 2007. On the surface, they seem like just another rock band, but if you dig deep and listen to their lyrics, they are geniuses of humor and emotion, and if you listen to their entire discography, you'll see that they experiment in many genres, including reggae, jazz, and blues. They even do some Sinatra. Well rounded and hilarious, Ludo is awesome.


Peace, Aimee

3 comments:

  1. Aimee- I just stumbled on your blog and it made me smile. First off, I'm guessing you've read James Joyce's book - which happens to be one of my all time favorites!

    Besides that - I am a hugeee fan of the Doors! Glad to join you on your writing journey =)

    ReplyDelete