All That Jazz

Finding things to write about is something I have trouble with often, mostly because I'm pretty much still a kid, living in the lower-middle class in a very peaceful town. Honestly, I haven't had a very interesting life so far. I'm hoping that will change, and I know how I can lead a satisfactory life, so I'm not worried about it very much. My life is boring, which sucks for now, since I've already lived about a quarter of it. I'm having somewhat of a quarter life crisis. If you can tell me which artist and which song this is from, I will love you forever.

"They" say to write what you know. This is a problem for me because I don't know very much. The world is a big, complicated place, and I've only been to like 1% of it, if that. I've never held a job besides babysitting, I've never done any hard drugs or had a serious relationship, and I've never been to foreign country besides Canada, which isn't all that foreign, since I really only live about 100 miles from the border. I'm kind of too lazy to do a lot of research. Maybe I look up what places look like, and I've learned a bit about other religions and politics, but not much else. I try to write about people of other races and religions because I believe in world peace and respecting everyone. It goes with the themes I write about: love and peace and all that jazz.

So my question to you is how much of your writing comes from life experience? Do you "write what you know" or do you do research or just make it all up?

Peace, Aimee

4 comments:

  1. The reason I like writing Fantasy is you don't actually have to know anything. It is what you make it. Although, I'm also writing a dystopian novel and this is based on my personal views on society. While this is a bit more difficult because it's realistic it's working well so far. When you actually sit down and think about it you'll probably find that you know more than you realize. Maybe you can write a character who wants to experience the things you want to...Anyways, right now as far as having a lot of experience I'm kind of in the same boat as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started to write a novel in which the narrator is based on me. I'm finding it very easy and fun to write because it's almost autobiographical. That's a fun thing to do, write a semi-autobiographical novel, but the characters have different names and such. I'm really enjoying it, and it's coming along faster than I thought it would. My other WIPs, however, are slower but the writing is ten times better. Good luck to you in your writing, Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my themes are based on what I know. For example, that family isn't necessarily those you are blood related to is a very important theme in my current WIP. This has been a major theme in my life as well and something I feel very strongly about.

    The other stuff I tend to pull from the real world and make believe and the news. I do a lot of research.

    Granted though, my WIP is about zombies and the end of the world. I don't have a lot of personal experience with that!

    ReplyDelete