Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yesterday Was Voting Day

I am going to talk about politics today. When someone talks about politics, most people just stop listening because they either a) refuse to sway from their own opinions or b) don't care. I sort of fit into both categories. In other words, I refuse to sway from not caring. No, that's not right. I care. I care a lot. It's just that I happen to be an anarchist.

Please don't freak out on me. I will try to explain myself as intelligently and as humbly as I can.

When John Lennon's song Imagine came out, everyone thought it was a communist song, but it's not; it's an anarchist song. Communism means that the government owns everything and has control of everything, but in anarchism, the people own everything, or share everything for that matter, and there is no government whatsoever. For some reason, there is this big stigma that anarchy is violent. But that's not what I believe. In fact, I think it is the opposite. The more laws there are, the more criminals there are. I know, I know; they have no laws to break, but it's more than that. America was founded upon freedom, though back then they had a different definition of it. It was more of a religious thing. The freedom I believe in encompasses more than that. It's freedom to do whatever you want.

We already have so much we can't control (genetics, laws of nature, other people... unless you're a politician or a parent but let's not get into that today) and let's be honest here: each person has this one life to live and we never know when it's going to end, so we should be able to enjoy while we can because once we're dead will it really ever matter what political party we were or what religion or race? I don't mean to be a cynic here, because I am definitely not. I have so much faith in the human race, it's ridiculous. If I were a cynic, I wouldn't think anarchy would work. I would think that everyone would just kill everyone and that would be the end of it.

But no. If there was no government, there would be no borders, no countries. Obviously this wouldn't work if only one country adopted it; it would have to be a worldwide thing. Love and peace and all that jazz. It's really that simple. Just respect that everyone has different opinions, religions, then we wouldn't need laws or a government at all.

I know there are people that say that there will always be someone who gets angry or is slightly racist or something like that, and it drives me insane knowing that that is true. There is a part of us, in our brain, I guess, that is violent. It's an animal thing: defend what is ours. And there are too many people in this world to teach them about equality in order for them to understand that they can control that (except in mental illness, but I can't talk about that now). So obviously peace cannot be achieved in this decade or this generation, but if we keep it up, maybe it can in this century.

Read some Ayn Rand and some Henry David Thoreau and The Life of Pi by Yann Martel and The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. My two favorite books, by the way. Side note: I'm planning on posting something about one or both of those books soon. I wrote this great essay about... Okay, no tangents...

I hope all of this made sense. And I did vote, by the way, but that does not make me a hypocrite, going against what I believe. If I didn't vote, then most people would vote for more regulations and stuff, while I voted against all that stuff. I know I'm only one person and it probably doesn't make a difference, but let's not go on another tangent here.

All differences aside, we're really all the same. You may argue that this is all a Catch-22, but I think it more of a yin and yang thing. But that's a discussion for another day.

Peace, Aimee

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic post, Aimee.

    I'm pretty much right there with you. Unfortunately, I'm a jaded anarchist so it's harder for me to fully embrace it, but it's my ideal. I think the challenge facing anarchy would less be from people going crazy and doing horrible things and more from the drive a lot of people seem to have to want a higher authority that they can appeal to.

    I don't want to hijack your blog, I'll leave it at that rather than get into why I think people want that. lol

    I voted, too, mostly Libertarian.

    (/-\)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Nevets! People do seem to want to have someone to tell them what to do, especially when it comes to the economy or social programs. But I think laissez-faire economics works just fine.
    Go ahead a hijack! I enjoy hearing what other people have to say!

    ReplyDelete